New teachers are especially in danger of falling into this temptation since they are often only four or five years older than the students they are teaching, so they need to be especially careful.
Tips for avoiding improper relationships with students:
1. Think of your students like they are members of your family.
2. NEVER socialize with students outside of school events.
3. Try to avoid talking to students about their private/dating lives.
4. Do not give students rides home from school or extracurricular events.
5. Keep your eyes where they should be--no staring!
6. Avoid joking about anything that is even remotely sexual with students.
7. Do not allow students to be your friends on Facebook until they have graduated.
8. Always leave the door open if you are alone with a student.
9. Remember that no relationship is worth prison time!
10. Try to keep an active social life of your own if you are single.
Please send me your questions and comments about discipline! I love hearing from people who are interested in the topic like I am.
If you like like this blog then PLEASE repost it on facebook and/or twitter using the icons below. Thanks!