5 reasons why dressing well is important
1) A professional look improves the chances of being treated like a professional (by students, administration, co-workers, etc)
2) A person who dresses professionally will usually feel, and thus act, more professionally.
3) Dressing and acting like a professional sends the message to students that you take the work being done seriously.
4) Dressing well shows respect for yourself and your profession.
5) Dressing well shows that you care about what you are doing.
I don’t buy the argument that, boo hoo, teachers just don’t make enough so they can’t afford nice clothes. I am not suggesting that they all come in wearing Armani suits and Louis Vuitton dresses. But, a person can look nice without much effort or expense if they really want to. Not even trying to look good shows laziness and a lack of care about anything but being comfortable.
This message is obviously not for everyone. There are many teachers who do dress and act professionally. But for those who don’t, it’s time to get your act together.
If you like like this blog then please repost it on facebook and/or twitter using the icons below. Thanks!
Please send me your questions and comments about discipline! I love hearing from people who are interested in the topic like I am.